Friday, March 12, 2010

“Pip, dear old chap, life is made of ever so many partings welded together, as I may say, and one man’s a blacksmith, and one’s a whitesmith, and one’s a goldsmith, and one’s a coppersmith. Diwisions among such must come, and must be met as they come.”(223) Joe says this to Pip after their uncomfortable meeting in London at the end of Chapter 27. I don't quite understand what this was meant to mean. Also, mentioning blacksmith's, whitesmith's, goldsmith's, and coppersmith's didn't quite make sence to me. I was wondering if it was saying how he didn't mean for their meeting in London to be akward, and then add a goodbye. So my question is, what does Joe mean by say this to Pip?

2 comments:

  1. well, this quote also confused me to start with but then i thought about it and I think what Joe was trying to tell Pip is how throughout life you may find yourself being seperating or parting from someone that you know and love dearly... but once this happens and you find yourself seeing that person again, you may find the person to be a lot different then when you last saw them. When Joe mentions the blacksmith's, the whitesmith's, the goldsmith's and the coppersmith's i think he's refering to different levels of the social class, from goldsmith (upper class) to blacksmith (lower class). I think he's trying to say how when you move into a different level of social class it also changes the person and makes it difficult for the people who know him to be able to relate and stay close to them because of how they changed. I'm not sure if this is right but i interpreted it the best i could. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree totally with what rachel said. But i also think that hes trying to say that Joe felt out of place in Pip's appartment and how theyve began to seperate since Pip's arrival in London. But instead of blaming themselves they put this seperation on the differnt social classes.

    ReplyDelete